To Open a New School of Barbering
The first step in opening a new school of barbering is to contact the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE) *. Once you have completed the BPPE’s application and obtained an “intent to approve” letter, you must complete the requirements for the Board of Barbering and Cosmetology (Board).
The requirements for the Board include the following:
- A completed Application for Barbering School Approval.
- An “’intent to approve” letter from the BPPE.
- Have met the building code standards established by the Board pursuant to Title 16, California Code of Regulations (CCR) section 7362.2(a) and pursuant to California Building Code section 1252.5. Submit a floor plan demonstrating room for equipment and floor space necessary for comprehensive instruction of 15 barber students or the number of students enrolled in the course, whichever is greater. Must be at least 14 feet wide for one row of barber chairs and at least 20 feet wide for two rows of chairs.
- Have met the minimum equipment requirements for a school of barbering pursuant to Title 16, CCR section 940(b).
- Have at least 15 full time students interested in attending the barbering course at your school pursuant to Title 16, CCR section 7362.2(b).
- Curriculum for the full barbering course pursuant to Title 16, CCR section 950.1 which includes a course of practical training and technical instruction.
- An on-site inspection of the school by a Board inspector to make sure the school meets the space and equipment requirements of a school of barbering.
You must obtain Board approval and be issued a school code prior to opening your school. Any hours a student obtains before your school is approved and issued a school code will not be accepted.
*Contact Information for the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education:
P.O. Box 980818
West Sacramento, CA 95798-0818 Physical Address:
2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 400
Sacramento, CA 95833