To Open a New School of Cosmetology
The first step in opening a new school of cosmetology is to contact the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE) *. Once you have completed the BPPE’s application and obtained an “intent to approve” letter, you must complete the requirements for the Board of Barbering and Cosmetology (Board).
The requirements for the Board include the following:
- A completed Application for Cosmetology School Approval.
- An “intent to approve” letter from the BPPE.
- Have met the building code standards established by the Board pursuant to Title 16, California Code of Regulations (CCR) section 7362.1(a) and California Building Code section 1253.1.1. Submit a floor plan demonstrating room for equipment and floor space necessary for comprehensive instruction of 25 cosmetology students or the number of students enrolled in the course, whichever is greater. Must be at least 3,000 square feet, not less than 2,000 square feet of which shall be provided for the working, practice, and classroom areas.
- Have met the minimum equipment requirements for a school of cosmetology pursuant to Title 16, CCR section 940(a).
- Have at least 25 full time students interested in attending the cosmetology course at your school pursuant to Title 16, CCR section 7362.1(b).
- Curriculum for the full cosmetology course pursuant to Title 16, CCR section 950.2, which includes a course of practical training and technical instruction, as well as all other course curriculums within the Board’s jurisdiction you wish to provide instruction.
- An on-site inspection of the school by a Board inspector to make sure the school meets the space and equipment requirements of a school of cosmetology.
You must obtain Board approval and be issued a school code prior to opening your school. Any hours a student obtains before your school is approved and issued a school code will not be accepted.
*Contact Information for the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education:
P.O. Box 980818
West Sacramento, CA 95798-0818 Physical Address:
2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 400
Sacramento, CA 95833