The California Board of Barbering and Cosmetology created this page to help licensees understand where and how to access information on reopening their establishments during this unprecedented time. Please be advised that while the Board can provide resources for licensees to comply with public health orders and county orders, the Board does not have the authority to modify or answer questions about these guidelines.
Step 1: Visit the Blueprint for a Safer Economy (https://covid19.ca.gov/safer-economy/) website to verify which sectors are allowed to open in your county. You may choose the language of your choice by using the “Select language” drop-down menu at the top right corner.
Step 2: Check your county's website to verify if they have stricter restrictions than the state. If yes, review the guidelines available on the county’s website. A list of county websites is available at https://covid19.ca.gov/get-local-information/.
Step 3: Review the California Department of Public Health’s (CDPH) COVID-19 guidelines below that pertain to your establishment.
Guidelines for Services Provided Indoors in Open Counties
- COVID-19 Industry Guidance: Expanded Personal Care Services
(Arabic) (Chinese Simplified) (Chinese Traditional) (Korean) (Spanish) (Tagalog) (Vietnamese)
- COVID-19 General Checklist for Expanded Personal Care Services
- COVID-19 Industry Guidance: Hair Salons and Barbershops
(Arabic) (Armenian)(Chinese Simplified) (Chinese Traditional) (Korean) (Khmer) (Hmong) (Russian) (Spanish) (Tagalog) (Thai) (Vietnamese)
- COVID-19 General Checklist for Hair Salons and Barbershops
(Arabic) (Chinese Simplified) (Chinese Traditional) (Korean)(Spanish)(Tagalog)(Vietnamese)
Reminder: You must adhere to the CDPH’s guidelines AND any additional guidelines provided by your county. If your county’s guidelines differ from CDPH’s, you must comply with whichever is stricter.
- For questions regarding the CDPH guidelines, contact (916) 558-1784 or visit the “Contact Us” tab on their website at https://www.cdph.ca.gov.
- For information on masks and face coverings, visit https://covid19.ca.gov/masks-and-ppe/.
- California remains under a mandatory mask order. The Board has created a poster to remind all consumers and licensees to wear a mask. We encourage licensees to display the poster (though it is not required) in your establishment. Click here to download.
- 3 Steps to Reopening Your Establishment
(Arabic) (Chinese Simplified) (Chinese Traditional) (Farsi) (Korean) (Spanish) (Vietnamese)
- COVID-19 Employer Guidance for Workplace Outbreaks
- Board of Barbering and Cosmetology Staying Safe During the Pandemic Checklist
(Chinese Simplified) (Chinese Traditional) (Korean) (Spanish) (Vietnamese) (Farsi) (Arabic)