In 1927, the Board of Barber Examiners and the Board of Cosmetology were established. The Board of Barber Examiners governed the barbering profession, and the Board of Cosmetology governed the cosmetology profession. The Board of Barber Examiners consisted of 5 members, 2 of which were public members. The Board of Cosmetology consisted of 7 members, 2 of which were public members.
Throughout the years there were minor changes to the laws of each profession. For example, the requirement of apprenticeship prior to master barber licensing for barbers and revision to the cosmetology laws to include a separate manicurist license, electrology license, and esthetician license. In 1939 the manicurist license and the electrology license were added, and in 1978 the cosmetician (esthetician) license was added.
In 1992, the Board of Barber Examiners and the Board of Cosmetology were merged to create the Board of Barbering and Cosmetology. Chapter 10, Division 3 of the Business and Professions Code (known and cited as the Barbering and Cosmetology Act) was enacted by AB 3008 (Eastin, Chapter 1672, Statutes of 1990) and became effective July 1, 1992. In July 1997, the Board of Barbering and Cosmetology was eliminated by the California Legislature and the duties, powers, and functions of the Board were transferred directly to the Department of Consumer Affairs and were administered by the Bureau of Barbering and Cosmetology. On January 1, 2003, SB 1482 (Polanco, Chapter 1148, Statutes of 2002) reinstated the Board of Barbering and Cosmetology (BBC).